Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Stuff

AHHHHH!!!!

Let me start off by saying I am, by no means, a minimalist. As I have said in past posts, after being with Andrew and reading other people's blogs and seeing how minimalistic so many people are - my eyes have been opened and I am MUCH more aware of how much "stuff" I accumulate. I hardly ever buy brand new things now, I try not to get as attached to material things as I used to, etc.

I have been home for winter break now for a couple weeks, and it is killing me. I love my family, don't get me wrong! But MY GOD. There is SO MUCH stuff in our house! I don't even know where any of it came from. I don't know where any of it goes. I don't know whose stuff it is. I just don't know! It doesn't help that I have my clean laundry in my hamper, heaps of stuff from when I went to Andrew's family's house out of town, and have all my Christmas gifts, blah, blah, blah. It's too much. How the heck did I get this much stuff?! Trust me, I know I have lots of clothes and I know I should get rid of some... but geez I didn't know I brought this much home with me! I don't ever lose things; and I've lost at least three things since I've been home! Bahhh!!! I hate it. I'm overwhelmed.

So I have decided that when I "grow up" and get a big girl job and have a big girl house/ apartment, I am going to get rid of as much stuff as I can. And I am going to make a great effort to being as minimalistic as possible. I need to. I can't have it any other way! I do not NEED so much crap! I've always been one to keep stuff "just in case", so this goal is going to be difficult... at first. But after this trip home, I have realized how much I have and how much I don't need. (Yes, Andrew [and everyone else] you can hold me to this! Gotta crack down on me!)

Luckily I'm not as materialistic as other people I know. And I know it could always be worse. And I know I'm lucky to have the privilege to have "stuff". But come onnnnn, it's just not necessary! Kind of ironic timing I'm saying this as the holidays have just ended too... Media and society is constantly promoting "MORE! MORE! BETTER! STUFF!" and everyone feels like they have to "keep up with the Joneses".... And it's sickening. It really is. We don't need all that crap because we end up getting bored with it in a short period of time anyway!

I was visiting a friend yesterday, and she has three kids. Her house was swamped with toys. Everywhere. It was crazy! I've never ever seen that many toys. And the kids are totally just going to get bored of those toys and want more, etc. It's a vicious cycle. We've progressed as a society that we constantly need something to keep us happy. Yet most little tots I know are completely content playing with tupperware, silverware, and basic kitchen utensils. Why do we need to buy them 94859485 kinds of different gadgets and toys!? They just don't need all that!

Like I said, I am not perfect either. But I am so much more conscious of what I have now... And I'm glad. And I am going to get better! I'm usually not one to make New Year's resolutions, but I think I am going to subconsciously make a goal to A. get rid of unnecessary crap I don't need and B. not get/ purchase more unnecessary crap and be happy with what I do have! Simplicity and minimalism makes for a much happier and less stressful life. Then we can have more time to enjoy the people and moments we share each day, and enjoy the present time instead of stuff.



(all pictures source: pinterest)

No comments:

Post a Comment