Thursday, February 2, 2012

Graduation: The first step

Wow. So I just filled out my graduation application. It's kind of weird. It doesn't actually feel like I'll be graduating. Once upon a time, I had a plan for my life. I was going to graduate with a degree in Special Education, minor in Spanish, go on to teach, pay off my debt, get married, have a family maybe, settle down... You all know the drill.

Then I found out I wasn't going to be able to afford to finish my last two semesters of the Special Education program. There was no way around it, unless I just randomly came up with a couple grand to pay for it. Ha, like that'd be possible working at a food service job ~20 hours a week. I like to take things that life throws at me as a sort of...lesson. Or a guide. Like, if something's not going to work out, life will let me know in the most unexpected ways possible! Throughout the last bit of my classes, even before I knew I couldn't finish with that degree, in the SPED program, I started drifting from the idea of being a teacher. I didn't like the bureaucracy of the education system here in the US. I couldn't stand any of the people I would be working with. Oh, and I'm the polar opposite of a morning person. (So weird how most teachers are those people that just get up at 5am and be like, "Oh morning how I love thee! I'm going on a run before work!" All happy and dandy... Yea, NOT me. At all. I hate mornings.) So, once I found out I couldn't finish with the program, I started accepting the idea of doing something else with my life.

This sounds very simple and uncomplicated. But let me tell you, it was not. This last semester was extremely difficult for me. Literally my whole life, for 20 years, I had always dreamt that I would just be a teacher. And that was that. So having to change that idea, having to change my entire plan and goal in life because I couldn't afford the degree, that hurt. It was depressing. I felt like I my whole life and school career had been a waste. What had I been doing all 4 years here? Why is college so damn expensive? Why should I have to suffer and not fulfill my dreams like I planned because our country doesn't value higher education enough to lower tuition? What's the point of even finishing school now that I have no effing clue what to do? What is going to happen now?

Obviously, as I'm sure I've stated in previous posts, I changed my major to just Professional Studies BA, with a minor in Child Advocacy Studies and Spanish. Prof. Studies is basically nothing... It's meant for people who are going to get their Master's or Ph.D.

Sooo, my plan is to go to grad school and get my MA in Counseling. I was going to go right away after college, but I just don't feel comfortable yet. It doesn't seem like the right thing to do right now. I don't know EXACTLY what I want to do yet with my life. So going into Counseling is a good step, but what emphasis would I want? Now that I had to switch majors, there are so many unexplored things in the world that I haven't yet learned about. I've been so forced to just think on the education path of life, that's all I know. So now, do I want to work in a school still? Do I want to eventually go back and get a teaching degree? Do I just want to aid? Do I want to work in a hospital? A jail? WHO KNOWS.

The world is my oyster. Whatever that means, right? But man oh man, I am so scared. I've always had a plan. I've always thought I knew what would happen in my life. But at this point right now, I have no flippin' clue. I do know that I want to work with troubled teens. That is, after all, the main reason I went into Special Education in the first place. Other than that, nooo clue what's going to happen. No clue where I'll go. No clue if I want to "settle down" or just roam this beautiful Earth with a special someone... Life is crazy. We can't predict it. Although I wish I could, so much.

So I'm graduating. But honestly, I just feel like I haven't accomplished anything. What do I have to show for my 5 years of being here? A BA in Prof. Studies... Woo. I mean I know I should be more positive because many people don't get to graduate college. (You know a lot of people go to college for seven years. I know, they're called doctors. -- haha, I love Tommy Boy) But now all I have is entirely too much debt, and no idea as to how I'll pay it off before I'm dead. I wish I had gone to school part time all 5 years so I wouldn't have had to take out so many loans. It's just ridiculous how expensive college is! That's not okay! But that's a whole other tangent...

Anyway. That's my life. I don't know what's going to happen. And planning the future, as I've learned, just doesn't work out. So I gotta hang on and enjoy the rest of the ride...also known us undergraduate school. ;)


“Throw your dreams into space like a kite, and you do not know what it will bring back, a new life, a new friend, a new love, a new country.” -- Anaïs Nin


~


“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.” – Martin Buber    

No comments:

Post a Comment