Friday, January 20, 2012

Multicultural things make me happy :)

I work on campus in food service and due to my class schedule and such, I work on weekends only. All of my coworkers that work on weekends with me are from Southeast Asia. I love it. So much. I absolutely would not have it any other way. They are seriously some of the best people I have ever met. I can't even imagine my life without them! I already realized all this; but tonight on our walk back home, I just kind of looked at all of us... and smiled. We all had handmade hats from Nepal on, all bundled up, snow crunching underneath our feet.

Throughout the entire night, there are always many different conversations going on... Some between Sri Lankans, Chinese, Nepali, a mixture of the three... It's so great. Then of course, there is the large group of guys from the Middle East that usually hangs out where we work too! Actually, a majority of the time I don't understand any of the conversations going on! Surprisingly, I enjoy it. In fact, I love it. It fascinates me how we can all come together and bond, even coming from such different backgrounds.

Here are our Nepali loves... (My friends Amanda and Katie as well!)



So many Americans avoid new things, new cultures, new people. Or they want to stay to themselves; stick to "their own kind". When a lot of international students came here at first, they said they didn't feel welcomed by the American students. They said it was quite the opposite of being welcomed, and many people simply ignored them or looked down upon them. This saddens me deeply. I'm glad I'm not like the "norm" of these unwelcoming people. I LOVE hearing about their religions, their homes, schools, weather, land, friends, families, food (ooo especially food!! ;) hehe!!), and recently-- MUSIC.

I'm addicted to it. After the song Why This Kolaveri Di was introduced to me, I totally fell in love. I searched Pandora and found Bollywood and Tamil radio stations...and let me tell you, it was the best thing I've done in a long time! No joke. This is all I listen to now. It makes me dance happily, even though I don't understand anything they're saying! The dancing done to most of this music is just as beautiful as the songs! English music is so boring now ;P

Anyway, these people I've met and grown very close to have opened my eyes to so many things. They inspire me! I love them all so much...and I tell them often ;)

One of my friends is selling some handmade items from Nepal on campus... I currently have a hat, mittens, coin purse, and over the shoulder purse from there. They're sooo wonderful, and original. Plus, it's from Nepal and handmade. How could it not be perfect?!





Now for your listening pleasure, here are a couple songs you should listen to. Just imagine me dancing around my kitchen and my room to music like THIS. You'll want to join, I'm sure! :D

Why This Kolaveri Di -- Anirudh,Dhanush,Shruti Hassan, Aishwarya and Sound Engineer Sivakumar



Autograph Tamil songs -- Ovvoru pookalume



"Maiya Yashoda" from Hum Saath Saath Hain



PS-- Notice the nose piercing in the third video... This is a very common thing for women as it symbolizes womanhood and fertility. Which is awesome, because that's why I love mine even more! Especially since it's on the left side! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment