Monday, April 2, 2012

Thrift stores vs. big ol' department stores

Hi blog loves!

Life's been a bit emotionally hectic over on this end, so I apologize for lack of blogging lately. I promise I haven't forgotten about this world and I will try my best to keep posting as much as possible!

So my friend and I went shopping at Target today, as she had to get a new shirt for a presentation she was giving. I remember when I could buy a sweater for $12 or so from there... Now they're all like, $20 or more?! What the heck!? I guess to most people this might not be expensive, and it probably isn't a shock. But I honestly can't remember the last time I paid full price for a brand new item of clothing.

Recently I've grown fond of shopping at thrift stores and consignment shops! Over spring break, Andrew and I went thrift store shopping all day and I had great success in my purchases. I think I spent less than $100 and I got multiple sweaters, shirts, skirts, and dresses... Talk about amazing deals! Plus, getting clothes used usually means it's not something everyone and their mom has. I hate dressing like everyone else. That just gets boring!

I know everyone has their own opinions on where they buy clothes, and if they want the expensive brand name stuff they will buy it. Which is totally fine! To each their own. I'm just so glad I have discovered the wonderfulness that is (well, I guess re-discovered because I have technically always known about them) thrift stores and consignment shops. I get compliments on every item of clothing I've bought secondhand; it's all super comfy; it's original and not usually something a lot of people own; and best of all IT'S CHEAP! I can't even imagine how much money I've saved from not buying brand new full priced clothes.

I mean sometimes it's "necessary" to buy something brand new, if it's an emergency or whatever. But I hardly even buy new clothes to begin with, so that's also a benefit for me. ;)

Goodwill, Savers, and small consignment shops are just my favorite places ever...

Where are YOUR favorite places to shop for clothes?!

6 comments:

  1. TJ Maxx or Marshalls! New clothes, nice brands, WAY WAY cheaper. Other than jeans (since, as you know...my XXL inseam is impossible to shop for anywhere other than Buckle), I buy pretty much all my clothes there (or from other stores when they're on mega-sale) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I love TJ and Marshalls too! And they're still cheaper than the average department store ;)

      Delete
  2. Who me? Shop? Bookstores. End.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Except you bought a bunch of clothes in Ireland too, I remember ;)

      But yea, books. That's your thing :P

      Delete
  3. First of all, I wanted to tell you how much of inspiration your blog is to me! I seriously love coming back to it every now and then :)
    and I wanted to tell you that you forgot to mention the probably most important positive aspect on shopping in secondhand and thrift stores: Nowadays buying clothes which have been used before seems to be the only ethical correct way. I'm sure you've heard how bad employees of clothes producing companies are treated/paid and not to speak of the influence which one tshirt has on the environment (to produce one cotton tshirt you need 400 gallons of drinking water)
    Anyway, thumps up for buying second hand! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww! You just made my day, thank you! :) I'm glad I can be some help of inspiration to someone :)

      And yes! it's so true... Thrifted or secondhand is the best way to go in so many aspects! :)

      Delete