Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Sleep. Time.

I am so tired right now as I write this... So I figured since I haven't blogged in a while, sleep is my topic.

Our society is SO crazy, hectic, and BUSY. ALL. THE. TIME. What the heck? It shouldn't be like that! When I went to Spain, so many American students would call the Spaniards lazy for wanting to take long lunches with their families, walk slowly everywhere, etc. But once I adjusted to the Spanish/ European speed of life, I fell in love with it. I was never stressed, hurried, rushed, etc. I got about 4 or so hours of sleep there, and maybe a one hour nap towards the end of the day. Besides that and strong coffee, I was never tired there! I haven't really comprehended why this had happened until right now. It is more accepted and encouraged to be late to things rather than early. I know this sounds weird to people here. But now that I think about it, that's awesome. I mean, what IS time anyway? We invented it to be able to tell when morning/ night were, etc... But still. Wouldn't things be so different if we didn't have schedules and constant rushing routines?

Don't get me wrong, I love being busy. I'm terrible at relaxing, meditating, and being calm. It's a flaw I am not proud of, let me tell you. :P But I have recently started to make a conscious effort to fix that. Stress and being rushed and freaking out about everything all the time is hard on our bodies! If you look at other cultures, more slowly paced ones, they're almost always a happier culture or society. (Obviously I don't have stats or physical evidence of this, whatever though, you get my gist!)

Now, because of all our hustling and bustling, I think this is why we're always so tired and drained. I mean, I feel like I need almost 9+ hours of sleep a night to function properly! In Spain they had THE BEST coffee ever... so I had a caffeine addiction there, on top of my no sleep. But it wasn't like I would fall over and die without the caffeine. Here I've weened myself off of it but lately I've had coffee almost everyday... :/ I'd love to get more sleep. Really, I would. But with working two jobs, having buckets and gallons of homework/ reading (I'm basically the slowest reader in the world), making myself work out, being the co-president of a club, and volunteering- sleep just isn't in the picture!! Plus I need a social life or I would probably kill someone. Luckily I love my job on campus, so that de-stresses me a bit.

Anywhoozle, I've been rambling. That's what happens what I'm tired, eh? ;)

I want to start meditating more, making working out a routine to help me calm/ re-energize, and I suppose I should try and start sleeping more.

cafe con leche... la segunda mañana en España :)

mi corazón esta en España para siempre <3

No comments:

Post a Comment